Friday, September 26, 2008

A Cabinet of Curiosities Indeed

Friday is for Favorite Things

A few weeks ago, I found myself in midtown with a few extra minutes of time on my hands. As I stood on 53rd Street, facing east, those big chunky letters, turned vertically, reading: MoMA were staring me down. I'd been wanting to make my way to the Dalí exhibit for quite a while now, and well, I never scoff at the idea of a glass of prosecco at
Cafe 2

While making my way up to Dalí on Floor 6, I was sidetracked by a dark, quiet little corner gallery. The walls were painted dark grey, the ceiling was low, and the gallery was lit up by nothing but a few strips of track lighting.  I had stumbled upon the Wunderkammer exhibit. I was immediately drawn to the gorgeous logo for the exhibit painted on the wall:


Wunderkammer is a German word literally meaning cabinet of wonder. It is defined as "a place where a collection of curiosities is exhibited." This exhibit is wonderful! The art varies in medium from pen and ink sketches to cut out collages. Little intricate paintings and sculptures. They all offer tiny bits of imagination, ideas and brainstorms. The entire collection somehow seemed like organized chaos—like you're in the strategically cluttered office of an old professor . . . or maybe Edward Scissorhands.  This is turning out to be more difficult to describe than I thought. Perhaps, Dear Reader, you should take your own curiosities to this Cabinet of Wonder and see for yourself.

On a somewhat related side note, I can't help but wonder if I was drawn to the Wunderkammer logo because it reminded me of another logo that I happen to hold quite dear:


No comments: