Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Come for the Tea, Stay for Everything Else

Wednesday: What I've Been Eating, Drinking, Craving, Etc.

The Charm School Graduate has spent five of the last seven nights dining out for dinner.  At this point, I can calculate a tip and divide the total bill by 3, 4, or 7 in the blink of an eye.  I can indicate to the wait staff that I prefer tap over bottled water with the blink of an eye. I've sampled fried green tomatoes, truffled mac-n-cheese, summer succotash, and a myriad of meats.

The one dining experience that has stood above the rest, was the dinner I took at the Roebling Tea Room last Friday night. Situated on the corner of Roebling and Metropolitan in Williamsburg, this unassuming brick warehouse does nothing to draw the average pedestrian in. That's the wonder of the place. Once you do climb the steps, you're transported to this big open space that somehow feels old-fashioned and remarkably cozy. Dim lighting, tons of candles, vintage wallpaper, and cozy chairs back near the bar. The menus are designed to look like they were just churned out of a turn-of-the-century typewriter, and even the shape of the water glasses have a quirky charm. Enough about the details, if that's not enough to get you in the door, the food certainly should be. The menu is modest in size, though clever. There were plenty of options for my large dining party to indulge in. I think I  managed to stick my fork in two different cuts of steak, beet salad, mussels with fresh corn, sauteed greens and bacon wrapped figs.  And this was just what was going on at my end of the table.

No doubt, this is a terrific date spot, but certainly doesn't need to be limited to that.  Grab a friend, a parent, a secret lover, or a perfect stranger and check it for yourself.

Yours in Food,
CSG

1 comment:

Panda said...

I heart this place and will be your date whenever you choose....or secret lover if that is more enticing. Although I guess this post isn't anonymous so it's not so secret anymore, is it?