Monday, August 11, 2008

I'll Run Away With You

Boomp3.com

M is for Monday is for Mp3

I tend to go back-and-forth on where I stand with covers. If they're too similar to the original, they seem a little sellout(ish) to me.  This cover, however, is top-notch. The Watson Twins, of Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins fame, recently released a solo album, Fire Songs. (Is it considered solo if it's recorded by twins?)

I think the album, beginning to end, is terrific.  It's got a warm, folksy, country feel that is somehow neither too folksy or too country.  Really, it's just right.  While their originals certainly show that these two can stand alone, out of the Jenny Lewis Spotlight, it's the Just Like Heaven cover that stands alone to me.

Taking a 1987 British Alternative Rock tune and turning it into a soft, twangy, delicate harmony? Definitely not sellout(ish).

No comments: