Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Michel-icious

Wednesday: What I've Been Eating, Drinking, Craving, Etc.

Last week I had my first ever encounter with the Michelada.  Actually, my particular breed was a Michelada Cubana if we're going to get into specifics. I encountered this cold + salty + fizzy + tangy + divine concoction at Hecho en Dumbo, a delicious and unpretentious Mexi joint down in DUMBO.  I strongly encourage checking out both the restaurant and the barkeep.  Errr...I mean the bar.

The Michelada is a Mexican cocktail that mixes dark beer with lime, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and salt, served over ice.  By adding tomato juice, you get the Michelada Cubana. (Which winds up being sort of like le Bloody Mary sans le Vodka.)

After spending 6 days fantasizing about my next encounter with this drink, this past Sunday, I finally tried my hand at mixing one up myself.  As a rule, I tend not to refer to recipes when cooking or cocktailing.  So this is roughly how it went:

-the juice of 1 lime
-two dashes of Worcestershire
-two dashes of tobasco
-a good pinch of salt
-1-2 oz. pour of tomato juice
-1 Negra Modelo (added gradually as you drink)

Mix the first five ingredients in a tall glass with ice. Then add the beer. We rimmed the glasses with a 50/50 mix of salt and Old Bay. Yum. 

Most of these ingredients are staples in any fridge/cabinet.  That said, I urge you to put down the mouse and go get Michelada Mixin'. Like, now.

No comments: