Friday, August 15, 2008

A Green Clean

Friday is for Favorite Things


Friends, neighbors, and lovers: Today I write you with a hot tip on one of my most favorite things for The Home. With this post, I officially declare myself a Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Junkie.  Anyone who has ever been chez Charm School Graduate knows that I keep the Mrs. Meyer's hand soaps at every sink (all two of them), and her delicious smelling candles throughout my glorious 650 square feet. I shamefully admit that I was initially drawn to these products by their very smart [looking] packaging. That was enough to get me to pick the products up off the shelf. Untwisting the lids and smelling these fragrances inspired by garden-fresh flowers and herbs sealed the deal, and got me to commit to a purchase. (And this is coming from someone who generally detests that "stinky stuff" fragranced lotions, sprays, etc.) I began to love the brand not only because of the high quality product, or how cute I think the bottles and jars look in my apartment, but the company also has a commitment to making natural and environmentally safe (biodegradable) products. Just last week, I purchased my first Mrs. Meyer's household cleaner—the Lemon Verbena Counter Top Spray. My home has never smelled fresher. (And it's probably never been cleaner, as now I suddenly find myself wiping down perfectly clean counter tops...just to be able to use the stuff.) 

A 16 oz. spray bottle of the Counter Top Cleaner set me back $4.99.  More money than say, a spray bottle of Fantastik or Windex. The value, however, comes in when you buy the All Purpose Cleaner in bulk: 32 oz. for $7.99.  This cleaner comes concentrated. Meaning: Once you've used the entire spray bottle, you simply need to add a few tablespoons of the All Purpose Cleaner and then fill the bottle up with water from your tap. Voila! An instant and inexpensive refill. Not only does this reduce packaging, but by mixing these up in your own home, you're helping to reduce the number of bottles being shipped (driven in big-frightening-fuel-guzzling-trucks) around the country.  Thusly, with each spray of the bottle, you're helping to reduce the size of our carbon footprint. Now that's a whole lot more than just a clean home.

No comments: